Hello and welcome to Pebbles, Rocks and Topz!
Today we’re going to be learning about the Good Samaritan, a story Jesus told to someone who wanted to know who his neighbour was. Watch the story on YouTube – God’s Story: The Good Samaritan or read the story in Luke 10:25-37
When you have watched or read the story, see if you can answer these questions. Then go back and take another look to see if you were right! (You can also check by scrolling to the bottom of the page to find the answers!)
- Stories that teach a lesson are called _________.
- Why did the Jewish expert in the law think he was already perfect?
- Jesus asked the expert what is written in the law. What did the expert say?
- Where was the man in Jesus’ story travelling from? Where was he going to?
- What happened to the man on the way?
- Who saw the man lying on the side of the road first? What did he do?
- Who saw the man next? What did he do?
- Who was the third person to see the man? What did he do?
- Why were Jesus’ Jewish listeners surprised that a Samaritan stopped to help?
- What did the Samaritan say to the innkeeper?
- Which person was a good neighbour?
- What did Jesus tell the expert at the end of the story?
- What does obeying God mean?
Talk about it
Has someone ever helped you when you were hurt or in trouble? Who helped you? How did it make you feel when they helped you?
Have you ever been like the Levite and Priest, not helping someone when they needed it? What made it hard to help?
What can you do this week to help someone and show that you love them?
One of the best things we can do to help people is pray for them! This week, pray for your friends or family, especially if they need help. You could make a list of different people to pray for each day, or maybe make a collage of photos or pictures to remind you to pray for people. And ask God to help you to be a good friend and be ready to show love to everyone!
This song, The Greatest Commandment, reminds us of the most important thing we can do in our lives – love God! And part of loving God means loving other people too. Listen to this song then see if you can join in. Maybe you could even make up some actions!
- Draw some pictures of yourself helping people in different ways. How many different things can you think of?
- Think of ways that you can show love to your friends and family this week. Maybe you could write someone a card to say thank you for the times they’ve helped you. Maybe you could help your parents before they ask you to do something. Perhaps you could help a brother or sister do something they find difficult. See if you can do something helpful every day this week!
- Print out and colour one of these pictures. Take a photo of it or scan it and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll share some of your pictures through the week!
- Print out this fun board game to play. You could even use the playing pieces like puppets to retell the story of the Good Samaritan. Good Samaritan Board Game
Get in touch
We’d love to see what you’ve been making, hear what you’ve been doing this week and to know how we can pray for you. If you’d like to tell us, please ask your parents to help you send an email to email@example.com. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
- Stories that teach a lesson are called parables.
- Why did the Jewish expert in the law think he was already perfect? He was an expert in the law, so he already knew all the rules.
- Jesus asked the expert what is written in the law. What did the expert say? Love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul, with all your strength and mind. And love your neighbour as you love yourself.
- Where was the man in Jesus’ story travelling from? Where was he going to? From Jerusalem to Jericho.
- What happened to the man on the way? He was attacked by robbers, beaten up and left by the side of the road.
- Who saw the man lying on the side of the road first? What did he do? A priest. He went past on the other side of the road.
- Who saw the man next? What did he do? A Levite. He went past on the other side of the road.
- Who was the third person to see the man? What did he do? A Samaritan. He bandaged up the man’s wounds, put him on his own donkey and took him to an inn.
- Why were Jesus’ Jewish listeners surprised that a Samaritan stopped to help? Because the Jews and the Samaritans hated each other.
- What did the Samaritan say to the innkeeper? He gave the innkeeper money to look after the man and promised more money for any expenses when he came back again.
- Which person was a good neighbour? The one who had mercy on him
- What did Jesus tell the expert at the end of the story? Go and do likewise (go and love everyone – even people we don’t like or who everyone else wants to avoid)
- What does obeying God mean? It’s not just doing what his rules say. It means loving Him more than anything and showing his love to everyone we meet.